Shaare Zedek Medical Center has been serving the people of Jerusalem for over a century. Dr. Moshe Wallach, a Jewish physician from Germany came to Israel in 1890 and he became the founder of the first, large hospital located in the western part of Jerusalem.
Shaare Zedek opened on January 27, 1902 on Jaffa Road 3 kilometers (2 miles) outside of the Old City of Jerusalem. Dr. Wallach was the first Director General of Shaare Zedek. He, along with Schwester Selma, who was the head nurse, developed and expanded the hospital and instilled in it the strong emphasis on professionalism coupled with compassion and empathy.
Today, Shaare Zedek is the city’s fastest growing hospital and the only major medical facility in Jerusalem’s city center.